Roses and hearts and chocolates and diamonds and candlelight all make us think about romantic, alto-sax, hold-me-in-your-arms love. But wouldn’t it be great, if this one day of the year dedicated to love, was about Love, capital L? Sure, it might not be the most exciting or rapturous, but taking a day to celebrate the relationships that shape us the most can only be a good thing. So to celebrate this day all about L-O-V-E, I invited my favorite ladies over to celebrate our friendships the only way I know how: with carbohydrates and champagne!
A group of my favorite ladies came over, we made a fun DIY Flower Garland Wall Hanging, and I provided a few savory quiches and tarts and mimosa mix ins, while everyone else brought the sparkling wine and desserts. Here are the details if you want to celebrate your own Gal-entine’s day.
Firstly, nail down the scope of the party. For me, I wanted a manageable brunch where I could have fun with my friends, not running around like a maniac trying to be the perfect hostess. Being an excellent hostess means making sure your guests are comfortable and have a fabulous time with you.
1. Choose the number of guests based on how much help you’re getting. Just you? No more than 10. You and a friend? 15. A third helper? 20.
2. Stick to practiced favorites when it comes to the menu. Make things you know you’ll nail every time, not new recipes that you haven’t tried out before. You don’t need the stress of a kitchen failure marring your lovely party!
3. Choose dishes that you can make ahead of time and don’t have to reheat. For brunch, I stick to tarts, quiches, and salads. I can whip them up and then leave them out the whole time.
4. Have your guests bring something. For my brunch, I had the guests bring sparkling wine and the dessert, so I could focus on a few dishes and the DIY. It freed me up in a big way, plus, sparkling wine can be expensive, so spreading it out over 10 people makes it less of a burden for everyone.
5. Pick an activity to focus the event. It can be a movie, a game, a theme, or in my case, a DIY activity.
Do you guys want to eat brunch and drink fancy lady drinks? All while being badass and celebrating my favorite made-up holiday: Gal-entines Day?
Here’s what I’m thinking:
When: 12pm Saturday, February 15th
Bring: your favorite breakfast carb/sweets or sparkling wine!
What: Drink an embarrassing amount of champagne and watch a rom com or a kung fu movie or play some fun games. Or we just drink champagne. I’m pretty easy on the activity front.
I’ll provide a few savory tarts/quiches, salad, and mix-ins for different mimosas.
Roasted Cherry Tomato and Basil Upside Down Tart
Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, Fresh Herbs, and Ricotta Quiche
Mixed Greens with Mustard Truffle Lemon Vinaigrette
Vanilla Grapefruit Mimosas
Tangerine Mint Mimosas